Friday, August 29, 2008

Memories from the past

08/21/2008 3:29 PM
Gone are those days when I was enjoying sun. It's raining like crazy these days here. In India it's raining too. Soon the fall will start and I will see beautiful trees. Fall is the best time in Toronto area as you will find different kinds of colors on different trees.
Someone who is retiring in 4 months is buying lottery tickets. I was talking to my friend that we should buy the lottery tickets not the one who is retiring.
 Everyone whether young or old, men or women, everyone wants to get rich and no one wants to work. Everyone will buy their own tickets in same family. Husband and wife will buy separate tickets with their own money and will only write their own names on it. This is how much they trust each other. They will have separate bank accounts and they are like two bodies living together with separate hearts. In India it's opposite "Do Jism Ek Jaan" two bodies and one soul. It is true most of the time couple will have one account and they just use the same money. One person will pay the bills.
When I was kid and used to go out with friends to eat we used to laugh that we want to pay Indian style or American style meaning one person pay for everyone or we all pay for our own food respectively. In the end we always used the Indian style. Now I realize after coming to North America that it was true Americans do pay for their own food. Indians in America still use the Indian style.
In India one person earns and whole family enjoys and in Canada it's everyone earns and enjoys. India is changing now mostly in big cities everyone earns and everyone enjoys. It's good in one way that person if not working is dull on the other hand though if you are working you become more active.
Its different here, some guys are playing soccer in the park wearing underwear only and every lady in the building is watching them whether young or old. Today I was checking hotels in different parts of India online and now they list the price per person like Americans. In Canada if two people are going on vacation they will be paying their own hotel and food although they will be living in the same room.

August 22, 2008
I am eating Doritos chips (100 calories), gone are those days when I used to eat Uncle Chips. Rs. 10 a pack in 1990's. last time I went to India there were so many varities of lays and other brands, but the most dominating snacks in India and now coming to our Indian grocery stores are Kurkurey. It is spicy it is tasty and it's full of calories. Once you start eating it you can't resist. In my school days I used to ride my cycle to Pooja Provison Store on the corner. There was a plaza with several shops owned by the same owner of PPS. His name was Papu, very usual name in India. After school I used to get Rs. 10 from mom sometimes only and go and buy either dairy milk or chips. He used to keep the chocolates in his freezer as it was 50 degrees in summer. That was like a big thing for me as I always liked junk food. There were candies like Melody, Éclairs, and other ones. Now I don't find any of those candies in India. People don't eat those
candies. Life style has changed, now people buy chocolates. There are international brands coming in India.

No comments: